April 13, 2021
Energy management program recognized for eighth consecutive year
CORNING, N.Y., April 13, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Corning Incorporated (NYSE: GLW) today announced it has been named a 2021 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recipient by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for continued commitment to energy efficiency.
“We’re honored to be named a 2021 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year,” said Wendell P. Weeks, chairman and chief executive officer. “We continuously strive to better our company, our communities, and our environment. Last year, for the first time, we announced 12 global sustainability goals, three of which highlighted our environmental commitments to energy, water, and waste management. In our ongoing commitment to sustainability, we look forward to achieving those goals, setting new ones, and continuing our partnership with the EPA.”
Partner of the Year is the EPA’s most prestigious award, with the Sustained Excellence designation reserved for companies achieving Partner of the Year status several years in a row and making continued improvements to their energy management programs. This is Corning’s eighth consecutive year earning Partner of the Year recognition and its sixth consecutive year achieving Sustained Excellence.
“ENERGY STAR award-winning partners are showing the world that delivering real climate solutions makes good business sense and promotes job growth,” said EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan. “Many of them have been doing it for years, inspiring all of us who are committed to tackling the climate crisis and leading the way to a clean energy economy.”
Corning launched its Global Energy Management program in 2006 to create and execute effective energy strategies. The program has grown to include teams that implement energy- and water-savings projects at Corning facilities worldwide.
In its 2021 award application, Corning highlighted:
- Improving companywide energy productivity by more than 31% since 2006
- Continuing investment in renewable energy and ranking among the top 25 corporate solar energy users in the U.S. by the Solar Energy Industries Association
- Achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at eight additional Corning manufacturing facilities in 2020, for a total of 37 global sites
- Earning recognition from ENERGY STAR industrial partners as a 2020 Top Project winner for a water-conservation and byproduct-recycling project at Corning’s Concord, North Carolina, facility
- Surpassing $570 million in energy savings for the company since 2006
Corning is a part of a select group of businesses and organizations that achieved this award.