JUNE 14, 2021
We love veggies and we know that you do, too. We also know that most people have a hard time eating enough of them. Even though people want to eat more, new State of the Plate research from the Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) shows that people are eating their veggies less often.
As a food company, we’re proud to work with health professionals and organizations like PBH that help people eat more veggies and fruit. PBH’s new research highlights how we can work together to help people go from wanting to eat more to actually doing it. A big part of developing a new, healthy habit is to make it enjoyable, easy to do, and simple to repeat. Read on for our tips on how to put PBH’s recommendations into practice.
Make a plan
People who have a plan about how to eat more are more likely to do it. Here are some simple ways to plan for more fruit and veggies:
- Make a weekly food plan. Keep your calendar on hand so you can plan easy veggie options on days when your schedule is tight. Then shop according to your plan.
- Get the family involved in a produce-prep session: wash, trim, cut, and store them in the fridge.
- Use fresh fruits & veggies in the beginning of the week as snacks and in salads, bowls, and dishes to reduce food waste from spoilage.
- Keep 100% juice like V8 Vegetable Juice and V8 Fruit and Vegetable Blends stocked in your pantry to help you fill in the gaps.
- Offer fresh veggies or fruit as you prep dinner each evening. It’s the perfect solution when kids start asking, “When’s dinner? I’m so hungry!” Try fresh veggies and hummus or Pace salsa with multigrain tortilla chips.
- Rely on a pantry and freezer stocked with veggies and fruits to use later in the week.
- Plan to eat the fruit or veggie on your plate first, in case you fill up quickly.
- Start with one of the above tips, and once the behavior becomes a new, healthy habit, plan another!
Make it easy & enjoyable
Make fruits and veggies the easy and enjoyable choice with these tips:
- Use vegetable sauces in your cooking like Prego +Hidden Veggies.
- Choose vegetable-forward sipping soups as a simple grab-n-go option.
- Pair fresh or roasted veggies with familiar dips and sauces your family enjoys.
- Share cooking tips to make veggies pop.
- Match veggies and fruit with the right seasoning to enhance their flavor.
- Try recipes that feature some of your favorite veggies in a new way.
- Names matter, so make veggies popular with tasty, fun, enticing names.
- Provide new recipe inspiration that takes simple concepts, like salads, to a whole new level.
- Make it fun for kids to eat more veggies with Campbell’s Tomato A-Z’s soup and a side of Goldfish Veggie crackers.
- Don’t worry about the exact amount to eat. Focus on eating them more often and enjoying them.
- Purchase pre-cut, ready to use veggies when short on time.
- Batch cook grilled veggies, then repurpose throughout the week.
Make it a habit
Starting a new routine can be hard. Pair fruit and vegetables with existing eating occasions and routines instead of trying something completely new. Read on for tips on how to make reaching for fruits and vegetables feel more automatic:
- Pair a fruit or veggie with a routine task you do every day. Each morning grab an apple when you take the dog for a walk or sip on a can of V8 100% Vegetable juiceafter your workout.
- Work towards eating at least one veggie or fruit at each meal and snack. If you’re already doing this, increase the amount.
- Double up on the veggies in your sheet pan and one pot dinners.
- Volunteer to bring a veggie dish to barbeques and parties like this grilled corn salad.
- Create fruit-forward deserts like this Strawberry Smoothie Parfait.
At Campbell, we continue to explore easy, delicious, and creative ways to make it easier to eat your fruits and veggies. We work with partners like PBH to promote fruits and vegetables, create products that make veggies convenient and delicious, and develop recipes and supporting resources that encourage people to eat more.
We hope these tips and resources inspire you to eat more, too!